The pillars to give business owners and managers a higher level view of digital marketing success factors, all of which need to be invested in to give a holistic approach to digital marketing. In smaller businesses, it may be one person such as the owner or digital marketing manager responsible for all, while in larger businesses there may be one person responsible for each pillar with many team members.
The six pillars essential for effective digital marketing which we follow are:
- Strategy and management (or management): Goals – Analytics, Strategy (Segmentation, Targeting, Brand Positioning), integration, marketing and sales alignment, resourcing, structure, skills development and marketing technology.
- Goals and measurement: Forecasts, digital reporting including KPI dashboards, attribution and customer insight.
- Media: Paid, owned, earned media including organic and paid search search, social media and display advertising.
- Content: Content marketing strategy including product and blog content to fuel content marketing, PDF downloads, interactive tools and content distribution.
- Digital Experience: Desktop / mobile website and apps. Online customer service.
- Conversational messaging: Email, Chat, Social media, customer service, on-site interactions and personalization.